Ceramic Spoons Workshop at Modern Clay
Thursday 25 July, 6–9pm
Join ceramicist Sophie McKinney and artist Sarah Taylor Silverwood to learn how to make ceramic spoons.
You will learn a range of techniques for making spoons of different sizes and functions, led by practical demonstrations from Sophie McKinney. Once you have made your spoons, Sarah Taylor Silverwood will demonstrate ways to develop a design for your work, and show different techniques and materials for transferring your design to clay, particularly using slip and underglaze. They will bring a range of examples of their own work, and use the Modern Clay library for inspiration.
You will finish the day with at least two finished spoons designed and made by you, which we will fire and glaze ready for you to collect. You are welcome to come along on the day with ideas for the sort of spoon you would like to create but don’t feel you have to as we will have plenty of inspiration!
Tickets are £35
– This course is suitable for all levels and abilities.
– Your work will be fired and glazed ready for you to collect.
– Adults’ courses are 18+ unless otherwise stated.
– It’s easier to do ceramics with short nails so if you have time give them a trim before you come!
– Modern Clay is situated at Minerva Works, a complex of various art spaces and businesses, a short walk from Birmingham city centre, on Fazeley Street in Digbeth.
– Unfortunately we do not currently have a working lift. Please contact us in advance if you need help accessing the workshop (located on the first floor).
What is Modern Clay Art School?
Modern Clay Art School is the educational strand of Modern Clay Co-op, designed for both adults and children. Each session is designed and led by the artists who work from Modern Clay’s studio, who are all experienced workshop leaders with Enhanced DBS checks. We aim to give all participants a high quality experience, ensuring there are never more than 6 students to 1 teacher, and always using artist-quality materials in every workshop. All materials and firing costs are included. Find out more about Modern Clay HERE